The magic of a camping holiday comes largely from the joy of waking up in the morning, at the edge of a silent lake or contemplating the horizon from the top of a mountain. To appreciate the view, however, it is still necessary to have the necessary energy! Even in the forest far from the bed, it is possible to sleep well if you have the right equipment. Having a sleeping bag that fits your needs makes a big difference when it is time to slip into the arms of Morpheus.
WHAT IS A SLEEPING BAG?
Camping, hiking, winter sports and other outdoor sports essentials such as headlamps, backpacks and travel bags, lounge chairs, magnesia bags, baby slippers climbing, snowboard skiing, travel bag, binoculars, ski bindings, snowshoes, ice axes and walking sticks, survival blanket, carabineer, toiletry bag, compass, the insulated bottle, the hood, the walking shoes, etc. a sleeping bag is by definition a padded bag with an insulating material in which you have to slip to sleep. Among other things, it allows you to protect yourself against bad weather and cold weather. Indeed, the air trapped in the bag will play the role of an insulator. Thus, the body of the user retains its heat optimally. As a result, it is neither the feather down nor the synthetic fibres that retain the heat, but rather the air contained in the sleeping bag. Popular for outdoor sports, the sleeping bag is perfect for camping, bivouac, caving, ski touring, hiking … You can also distinguish it by its size, its ability to insulation, its weight, but also its volume when compressed.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Buying an effective sleeping bag to leave the office environment and other work environments for a while is very important as it plays a role as an extra mattress. It is he who will allow you to spend good nights comfortable and warm. In any case, keep in mind that your light or dark sleeping bag should allow you to experience your hike at 200% without feeling uncomfortable. Your ideal hiking bag should allow you to recover from a long and exhausting day.
In addition, the sleeping bag is still the element in which you spend a lot of time especially as the nights in the open are much longer than the nights spent at home because you adapt to the rhythm of the sun! Also, a good branded or even unbranded sleeping bag helps you not to apprehend the night as when you slip into your duvet. I recommend choosing famous models for their reliability and low price. You will feel good inside and this regardless of the duration of the outdoor getaway. And Compare from one bag to another bag, I sincerely hope that this comparison will be useful to you. I have selected the best low-cost models that you can buy quickly on the internet. Knowing how important it is to be well equipped to venture out on a hike, we took care to select models that encompass quality, comfort and low prices.
SHAPES OF SLEEPING BAGS
There are three main categories of a sleeping bag:
- Sarcophagus: Shape of most sleeping bags on the market, the bag “sarcophagus” follows the shape of the body. Its cost is a bit higher because its construction is more complex than a rectangular bag.
- Rectangular: This type of bag has a minimal cost thanks to its simplicity of construction. Also, some people like this type of bag better because they feel less stuck there than in a mummy. This form is found especially in summer bags.
- Semi-rectangular: Its shape represents a compromise between rectangular and mummy, both in terms of performance and cost. However, sleeping bags of this form are rather rare on the market.
There’s a whole range of things you’ll need to consider when
shopping for a new sleeping bag. Do you want a mummy or rectangular model?
Filled with down or synthetic insulation? You can read my guide, to discover
the type of sleeping bag that suits you, then finalize your choice by
consulting this list of my favourite models. I m a traveller since 2011 and
gather much experience about sleeping bag. So I think this guide helps you to
choose your desire guide.
1. Western Mountaineering Mega-Lite Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down
- Temperature Rating: 30.
- Colour: The colour of this sleeping bag is navy blue.
- Dimensions & weight: 20 x 12 x 8 inches and the weight are 9.6 pounds.
- Operation Temperature: The ranges of temperature of this sleeping bag are 21 to 30 Fahrenheit.
- Insulation: 850 Fill Goose Down.
- Bag Shape: The shape of the bag is a mummy.
Why it is best?
The Western Mountaineering Mega-Lite Sleeping Bag: 30 Degree Down is an overachieving 30-degree sleeping bag. The warmth and breathable material make it perfect for me to use in fall and spring hikes. For its lightweight body, it is very easy to carry out. Its different features make it a unique sleeping bag. Because of it’s lightweight, our vote for the best lightweight sleeping bag for backpacking goes for this one.
- Full-length: 5 YKK Zipper lengths have been used in this sleeping bag.
- Pack size: The packing size of the bag is very small that’s why it is very easy to carry out.
- Top Collar: The collar of the bag set at the top of the bag.
- Design: Made with breathable, packable shell fabric to keep weight to a minimum.
- Draft tube: It contains a draft tube which prevents cold air from disrupting your slumber.
- Big fully lofted size.
- Small pack size.
- Zipper occasionally catches on the fabric.
2. Western Mountaineering Summer-lite Sleeping Bag: 32 Degree Down
- Dimensions & weight: 17 x 10 x 14 inches and the weight of the bag is 11.9 pounds.
- Zipper: It contains a full-length zipper and also contains left and right feature.
- Insulation: 850+ fill down.
- Material: 100% nylon rip-stop (20D) and DWR coating used to make this sleeping bag.
- Bag Length: The length of the bag is 5 ft 6 in, 6 ft, 6 ft 6 in.
- Degree: 32 F.
Why it is best?
The Western Mountaineering Summer-lite Sleeping Bag: 32 Degree Down is a perfect sleeping bag for your adventure. This one is one of the best ultralight sleeping bags and definitely is essential ones for your comfortable camping.
- Mummy shape: It is a mummy shaped bag and this mummy bag achieves a phenomenal lightweight.
- Stuff sack: Waterproof stuff sack included in this sleeping bag.
- Waterproof: Water-resistant rip-stop shell used to make up this sleeping bag.
- Warranty: This bag provides lifetime manufacturer warranty to the customer.
- Draft tube: Insulated draft tube included in this bag which protects you from cold air interrupting your precious slumber.
- Very lightweight.
- Stuff size.
- Extremely compressible.
- Comfortable fabric.
- Warmth and durable.
- Tighter than others.
- Quite expensive.
3. Marmot Phase 20F Degree Down Sleeping Bag
- Weight: The weight of the regular bag is 1 lb 7.3 oz.
- Temperature Rating: The exact temperature rating is 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Height: The maximum user height is 6 feet.
- Technology: Pertex technology used to make up the product.
- Fabric: 10D 100% Nylon Rip-stop.
Why it is best?
The Marmot Phase 20F Degree Down Sleeping Bag helps you sleep comfortably in cold temps. It offers you an extremely lightweight and compressible package. It is a very comfortable sleeping bag for its unique features. It also offers you a very small packing size. It also contains versatility. It can be the best choice of sleeping bag for its uniqueness.
- Warmth: The product uses 14.1 ounces of top-quality 850 down fill which will provide you with a warm condition. It also contains the water resistant capacity which will keep you dry in the wet weather.
- Weight: This bag is impressively lightweight.
- Comfort: The shoulder and hip dimensions of this bag are 60″ and 59″ which gives the comfortable condition.
- Packed Size: The packing size of the bag is very small that’s why it is very easy to carry out.
- Versatility: The Phase is an extremely versatile bag and has enough insulation.
- More warmth and comfort.
- Very compressible.
- Silky internal fabric.
4. Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20 Degree Sleeping Bag
- Dimensions & Weight: 15 x 11 x 17 inches and the weight of the product is 14 pounds.
- Stuff Size: 7 x 13 in.
- Warranty: Lifetime manufacturer warranty provided by this product.
- Insulation: 850+ fill down.
- Temperature: 20-degrees F.
Why it is best?
The Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20 Degree Sleeping Bag is the best sleeping bag for the easy transporting. It is noticeably warmer than the other contenders we tested with a 20F rating. It is a breathable and water-resistant bag which protects you from extreme nasty weather. For your adventure, it can be a perfect bag for its unique features.
- Stuff and storage: The product includes stuff and storage capacity for easy transport and storage.
- Shape: Streamlined mummy shape save weight and warmth.
- Insulation: The bag offers compressible synthetic insulation which provides warmth and durability.
- Warmth: The temperature of the UltraLite is pretty conservative. The warm condition feels like you are in the home.
- Comfort and Fit: The bag made with the soft and lightweight material which makes the bag very comfortable and fit for camping and adventures.
- Light, durable and compressible.
- Small packed size.
- High price.
5. Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 700
- Dimensions and weight: 18 x 17 x 12 inches and the weight of the product are 3.1 pounds.
- Length: The length of the bag is 80in / 203 cm.
- Material: 20D polyester rip-stop and 20D polyester taffeta used to makes up the sleeping bag.
- Temperature: 20-degrees F.
- Warranty: Lifetime manufacturer warranty.
- Storage Sack: It also contains storage sack.
Why it is best?
The Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed 700 is a perfect sleeping bag for its excellent features. The unique design makes it attractive to the customers. It helps regulate temperature well, particularly on warmer nights. The Backcountry Bed gives you the feeling of home on the trail.
- Packed Size: The sleeping bag packs down smaller than other for easy carrying.
- Comfort: It is very much comfortable and feels like you’re in bed. The area is spacious in girth and super comfortable in design.
- Design: The bag offers a unique design that eliminates weight and discomfort of zippers.
- Shape: The contoured mummy shape used in making this model.
- Incredibly comfortable.
- Excellent price.
- Inefficient stuff sack.
6. Nemo Verve 30 Sleeping Bag
- Weight: The weight of the product is 4.5 pounds.
- Temperature: 30 degrees (F).
- Shell: The shell of the sleeping bag is made with 40-denier rip-stop nylon.
- Shape: Semi-rectangular shape used in the sleeping bag.
- Zipper Location: Left.
Why it is best?
The Nemo Verve 30 Sleeping Bag is a very warm 30-degree sleeping bag. It offers a smooth design with a decent quality. It includes a comfortable spoon shape that is well shaped which gives you a better experience. The moisture resistance feature improves the performance and keeps you in the wet weather. If you are searching for a lightweight 3 season sleeping bag, then this Nemo Verve 30 Sleeping Bag will be a good option for you.
- Moisture resistance: This moisture resistant feature keeps you dry from the wet weather and also enhances the comfort.
- Design: Smooth design and comfortable spoon shape used for natural shape while you are sleeping.
- Stuff sack: The sleeping bag included a stuff sack for easy transport.
- Warmth: This is a warm 3 season sleeping bag. It helps keep your toes warm if you happen to carry foot warmer packets.
- Comfort: It has a really comfortable hood that is soft and perfect shaped.
- Packed size: The packing size of the sleeping bag is very small and features lightweight fabrics and high quality down insulation.
- Adjustable contoured hood.
- Ventilation and easy access.
7. Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 Degree Sleeping Bag Regular
- Dimensions & weight: 10 x 10 x 24 inches and the weight of the bag is 3.7 pounds.
- Temperature: 15 degrees (F).
- Shell: The shell of the bag is made with rip-stop polyester.
- Gender: It is specially made for men.
- Shape: The shape of the bag is semi-rectangular.
- Warranty: The product provides a lifetime manufacturer warranty.
Why it is best?
The Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 Degree Sleeping Bag Regular is a light and compact enough sleeping bag to take on backpacking trips. It delivers comfort that will make you feel like you’re in your bed back home. It is very easy to use. It also offers a pillow pocket which enhances safety by keeping your valuable thing. Sleeping bag with pad sleeve is the part of comfort you need while camping.
- Pad sleeve: The bag provides an integrated pad sleeve which keeps the sleeping pad in place.
- Free-range hood: It offers free range hood that gives you the freedom to lift your head while snuggled in the hood.
- Pillow Pocket: It also contains a pillow pocket in which you can keep your valuable things.
- Liner loops: The bag provides liner loop.
- Ease of use.
- Occasional zipper snag.
8. Sea to Summit Spark SPI Sleeping Bag
- Weight: The regular weight of the sleeping bag is 12.3 ounces.
- Shape: The sleeping bag shape is a mummy.
- Temperature: 46 degrees (F).
- Zipper Location: The zipper of the bag located on the left side.
- Shell: Rip-stop nylon used to make the shell of the sleeping bag.
Why it is best?
The Sea to Summit Spark SP I Sleeping Bag is the lightest and most packable bag. It offers a high degree of performance with its unique features. It can be the best choice for the summer season travelling and camping. The ultra-light feature enhances the quality of the bag. It is an anti-bacterial bag.
- Season: It can be used on 3-season backpacking adventures in warm weather.
- Hood: The bag offers a contoured hood with drawcord and a tapered foot box which will provide a new experience.
- Liner: 15D nylon soft touch and high-density weave includes in this sleeping bag.
- Ultra-light: Ultra-light feature added to enhance the durability of the bag.
- High quality down.
- Anti-microbial / bacterial.
- Ethically sourced down.
- Small packing size.
- No draft tube or collar.
- Not quite warm enough.
9. The North Face Furnace 20/-7 Sleeping Bag
- Weight: Medium bag weights 2lb 10oz and the long bag weights 2lb 15oz.
- Draft Tube: The bag contains a draft tube.
- Warranty: Lifetime manufacturer warranty.
- Stuff Sack: Included stuff sack.
- Shape: Mummy shaped used to make the bag.
Why it is best?
The North Face Furnace 20/-7 Sleeping Bag is a perfect bag that you can use this bag in 3 seasons. The insulation of the bag offers thermal protection on the underside of the bag. The bag absorbs less water and dries faster than any other bag. It provides the best price with the best quality. The North Face Furnace 20/-7 Sleeping Bag is a comfortable to use as a lightweight 3 season sleeping bag.
- Draft collar: The bag includes a draft collar which prevents heat loss.
- Overall Comfort: The unique features provide an overall comfort to the user.
- Durability: This is very durable and is a stout bag that will withstand years of use and abuse.
- Water-resistance: It also offers the water resistant feature which keeps you dry from the nasty weather.
- Warmth: The bag’s down fill and synthetic underlayment kept nighttime chills and comfort.
- Warmth and comfort.
- Vaulted foot-box.
- Ergonomic design.
10. Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame Regular Sleeping Bag
- Shell: Nylon material used to make the shell of the bag.
- Colour: The colour of the bag is blue.
- Zipper: The zipper of the bag located on the left side.
- Shape: Comfort mummy fit.
- Dimensions & weight: 24 x 15 x 13 inches and the weight are 2 pounds.
Why it is best?
The Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame Regular Sleeping Bag is an attractive looking bag for its unique design. The mummy shaped gives you a comfortable experience. It is very much durable. It is a perfect sleeping bag in the lower price range. This bag is not a down bag. It also contains portability, durability and excellent design. Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Flame Regular Sleeping Bag is a ultra compact sleeping bag you may looking for.
- Lightweight and warm: The product is very much lightweight for lightweight nylon shell and helps in easy carrying. It also feels very warm.
- Portable: It has portability which gives you a better experience.
- Warranty: It provides a limited lifetime warranty.
- Comfort: Added comfort with its smooth fabric and design.
- Durability: It is durable and also contains the storage capacity.
- Thermally efficient: The bag is thermally efficient which gives you a better experience.
- Decent warmth.
- Comfort mummy fit.
- Not as fluffy or compressible as down.
CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING A SLEEPING BAG
The temperatures indicated by the manufacturers of sleeping bags are framed by the USA standard. This standard requires a test in an approved laboratory.
Three temperature levels are indicated:
- Comfort temperature: This is the outside temperature to which you can sleep in a relaxed position, on the back, without feeling the cold.
- The temperature limit of comfort: It is the outside temperature to which you can sleep in a fetal position without feeling cold.
- Extreme temperature: It is the outside temperature below which you risk hypothermia.
To choose your sleeping bag, it is the temperature of comfort which must be your reference. Consider the geographical areas, seasons and maximum altitudes of your trip to determine the temperatures you will experience at night.
If you just want a sleeping bag to protect you from the air conditioning of buses and to camp in areas where it’s not too cold at night, a temperature of the comfort of 10 ° (at the 15 ° rigour) may suffice. On the other hand, above 15 ° it will not bring you much.
If you intend to use it during treks in altitude or to camp in colder zones, you will probably have to opt for a temperature of the comfort of maximum 5 ° degrees (0 ° or less is better).
Each person has a different sensitivity to cold. If you are cautious, choose a bag with a comfort temperature a little lower than the ones you will face during your trip.
The temperature of comfort sleeping bags that take the traveller is an average of + 10 °. It goes from -10 ° for the best performers to + 20 ° for the less hot ones.
In a sleeping bag, heat is created by your body and thus heats the space inside your bag. It plays the role of an insulator. In other words, the better the insulation will be, the hotter you will be. Also, the smaller the space to be heated, the better will be and your bed will be hot quickly. If you are looking for warmth, then opt for a bag not too big that will fit best to the shape of your body.
The sleeping bag also serves as protection against moisture. By locking well inside, the down keeps us from being in contact with moist soil and it also protects us from the humidity of the air. Very convenient for those who like to sleep under the stars.
To travel light is to be free. Depending on the model you choose and the weight of the rest of your equipment, your sleeping bag will increase by 5 to 10% the total weight that will weigh on your back for long months. These are the down bags that offer the best weight/temperature compromise. But there is no secret, usually the warmer the bag, the heavier it is. However, some slightly more expensive models, such as the Wilson Down Ultralite 150, manage to combine an ultra-lightweight (440 grams) with a correct comfort temperature (10 °).
Unless you travel with your vehicle, I advise you to choose a sleeping bag that does not exceed 1.1 kg, even if you put a price if you need a hot bag. Attention, many manufacturers tend to minimize the weight of their sleeping bags, indicating that of their smaller size. The average weight of the sleeping bags carried by the traveller is 900 grams. They range from less than 500 grams for lighter ones to over 2 kilos for heavier ones.
4.The Closing System
A good sleeping bag must be fitted with flaps above and below the closing zips to prevent cold air infiltration. If you are travelling as a couple, you can choose twin bags: one with a closure on the right and the other with a closure on the left. The sarcophagus bags have a tightening system for the hood. It allows adjusting perfectly, leaving only part of the face in the open air, to prevent heat loss through the head. On hot models, there is also a collar or an inner bead to isolate the body at the torso.
Manufacturers generally offer several sizes for each model of a sleeping bag (S, M, L …). Your bag should be large enough so that you can turn around, but not too much to prevent too much air inside and you lose in thermal comfort. For length, think that you are always taller when lying down. You do not sleep with your feet in a right angle.
The 1 season sleeping bag (summer): these duvets are reserved for relatively warm temperatures (10 ° C and more). They are unsuitable for the mountains and will be perfect for camping at low altitude during the hottest months of summer.
The 2 season sleeping bag (spring/summer): the 2 season sleeping bag is a little tricky in its use. I expect that if you spend a night at high altitude, you could easily be cold when the temperature is below 0 ° C. It will be especially suitable for those of you who are staying in low altitude areas.
The 3 season sleeping bag (spring/ summer/autumn): definitely the most versatile sleeping bag type and our favourite on Sport2Nature. It is also the most widespread. Usable in autumn and spring from -10 ° C but also in summer by opening the zipper. If you want to invest in a good down that will cover most of your needs, go for this guy.
The 4 season sleeping bag (winter): there are few duvets 4 seasons, strictly speaking, ie a flexible down that will adapt to different temperature ranges. Here, we talk about winter or cold sleeping bag for temperatures below -10 ° C. Down that you can use in any season, playing with the opening to lose insulation. Still, if it’s really hot, you will sweat and so ironically get cold.
7. The Lining
The lining of the sleeping bag can be made of synthetic material or down. Each type of upholstery has its advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage of down is to offer an excellent weight/heat ratio. By cons, it is more expensive and resists less moisture than synthetic.
During a world tour, you will often have to travel on crowded buses. A sleeping bag that is too bulky can be really awkward in the long run.
Manufacturers generally indicate the volume and dimensions of the compressed bag. Down bags have better compression. They are therefore generally less bulky than synthetic bags.
Two types of insulation offer to you, down and synthetic. Down sleeping bags are made from the feathers of young birds (usually geese or ducks). They have the advantage of being lighter and more compressible. They are very good insulators and are more durable than well-maintained synthetic bags. On the other hand, they are expensive, absorb moisture more easily and therefore take longer to dry.
Synthetic sleeping bags absorb less moisture, dry faster and are easier to maintain. They are also much cheaper. They are, on the other hand, heavier and bulky offering a weight/insulation less interesting than a down. Also, they are less durable in time.
Advantages and disadvantages of down and synthetic upholstery
|Heat / weight||Good heat report||Bad heat report|
|Volume / weight||Good compressibility||Poor compressibility|
|Moisture resistance||Absorbs moisture and loses its insulating power when wet. Down protection can be improved by a hydrophobic outer shell.||Keeps its insulating power even if it is wet.|
|Lifetime||Good durability, but may lose fluff if pierced.||Average durability|
|Breathability||Good breathability||Bad breathability|
|Comfort||Good comfort||Not pleasant to sleep|
|Interview||Gentle wash at 30 ° without spinning. Dry at low temperature or in the open air.||Easy to wash, dries quickly|
|allergies||Risks of allergies in some people||No risk|
9. The Form
There are two main forms for sleeping bags:
- SLEEPING BAGS COVER
They are more comfortable because inside, there is more space at the feet. They contain a lot of air and do not have a hood. They, therefore, protect less well from the cold than sarcophagus bags. They are also heavier and bulkier. They are therefore more suitable for people who travel by car for camping in summer than for travellers.
- SARCOPHAGUS SLEEPING BAGS
They have a cut near the body and are equipped with a hood, which limits the loss of heat. At equal weight, they are warmer. This type of bag is acclaimed by travellers.
OTHER FORMS OF SASCS
In case you are looking for other forms which are more original and much less common:
- The quilts: They have no hood or zip and are open in the back. The idea is to gain maximum weight by eliminating the down between the sleeper and the ground that is crushed and therefore useless. It is, therefore, the mattress that isolates the soil. Straps allow attaching the sides of the bag in the back.
- Top bags: Like quilts, they have no down on the part that is in contact with the ground. They are, however, closed with a piece of cloth.
- Elephant feet: They do not have a hood or zip and cover the sleeper only feet to the pool. They are made to be worn with a coat and are mainly used by mountaineers.
Question 1 : Can a winter down be used in summer?
It is quite possible to use a winter sleeping bag in summer, just open it to ventilate you if you’re hot. You can also use some models in cover mode. However, if it is a model for extreme conditions, you may be too hot.
Question 2 : Where to buy your sleeping bag at the best price?
You can find all the shops specialized in hiking or in big sports equipment stores. Feel free to take a look on the internet to enjoy more attractive prices.
For internet purchases, I advise you to always check the return policy of that store. I have been buying our diaper bags online for years and I have never had a problem. Do not hesitate to buy on your favourite site.
I recommend Amazon which offers a huge choice and top-notch customer service. In addition, you can help yourself to many customer reviews to make your choice. By purchasing directly from Amazon, you have the option to return the product free of charge in case of problems.
Question 3 : Should we clean his sleeping bag?
Every morning, when you wake up, think of ventilating your sleeping bag by opening it big. Thus, you will evacuate some of the moisture caused by perspiration. The down will have a longer life and will be less impregnated by odours. It is also advisable to wash your down from time to time.
To avoid damaging the insulation, use hand washing with very little soap, without letting it dry for too long. In general, avoid washing your sleeping bag too frequently.
Question 4 : Sleeping bag 1 place or 2 places?
Choosing a 2-seater sleeping bag may seem more comfortable because it’s more spacious, but the air will usually take longer to warm up. Better to opt for a down perfectly fitting the silhouette. Of course, if you travel as a couple, the 2-seater model is possible, especially in summer. My advice: if you really want to share a sleeping bag for two, opt for a twin model.
In concluding, I hope that with this guide, you now know how to pick a sleeping bag and that this task will only take a few minutes. Do not hesitate to visit Amazon site to discover each test sleeping bag to know more about the characteristics of each product. Note that buying a sleeping bag should be a safe investment for you in the long run. Thus, I advise you to prioritize the quality and the durability rather than let you brake by the price sleeping bag.
Do not forget to take freeze-dried meals during your hikes, campsites, etc. as well as all the materials you will need wonderful moments with family or friends such as ski boots, ski touring, ski goggles, ski jacket, cooler, baby carrier and sleeping bag if you want baby to also enjoy these magical moments outdoors, anti-mosquito products, camping chair, trail shoes, water for better hydration, solar charger, air mattress, pedometer , crampons, baby booties, gaiters, the mess bag if your model does not have a cover choose with cover. Boot that goes with your camping is also necessary. After Purchase please give me a review and share your experience with us. Thanks in advance.