The rangefinder is a device that measures the distance and other characteristics of an object using a laser. To do this, he uses the principle of flight time; the rangefinder sends a laser pulse in a narrow beam to a target and, depending on the target reflection time and the return time, the distance can be obtained. Rangefinders are popular among hunters, in various sports and with military personnel. We have researched and reviewed of the best hunting rangefinder from our pick.
Some models provide feedback on the release of the shot so that the user can be certain that nothing will interfere with his target. This can be particularly important for the military, as they use their rangefinder for life and death issues, and cannot afford to shoot the wrong target. Some also have high definition optics, which allows the user to examine their target closely on a small screen. Hunters and the military benefit from models that determine whether an object moves or not, and at what speed.
People who use a bow and arrows need a model with integrated tilt/decay technology and so military rangefinder is a good choice. This will take into account different shooting angles when calculating the distance. Night hunters need a laser rangefinder with an adjustable display screen for different lighting conditions. Some act as night vision devices, with a brightness control technology that provides eye contrast, changing with the surrounding light conditions.
The History Of Rangefinders
The very first rangefinder was called a micrometer. A man named James Watt invented it in 1769 and his version consisted of two parallel hairs that were inside the focal plane of a telescope eyepiece. A man named Alexander Selligue is sometimes credited with the invention of the rangefinder, and although he has developed the model that has become popular among the masses, he is not the original inventor.
In 1781 Georg Friedrich Brander made the coincidence rangefinder. These are two mirrors positioned horizontally that make two images in the same eyepiece. No matter who historians believe invented the very first rangefinder, most agree that it was born in the steam era. But at the end of the 19th century, electrical engineers applied the term rangefinder to devices they used to measure different quantities.
Several very different devices have been tagged at one point, including a resistance thermometer, which is used to measure temperature, and an electric strain gauge, which determines the amount of strain on an object. Because the term rangefinder was so widely used and its meaning had become blurred, the Institution of Civil Engineers suggested replacing it with the word tachometer.
During the Second World War, the boom in industrial development made tachometers commercially viable. These devices became especially important when humans began rocket and aviation research, as well as space exploration. Since spacecraft can lose contact with radio or electromagnetic waves, rangefinders were one of the only ways for people on the ground to measure vehicle parameters. The rangefinders have also played a role in the history of espionage. American spies during the Cold War used them to determine the location of Soviet missile tests.
WHICH RANGEFINDER FOR HUNTING?
The breadth of manufacturers, types of rangefinders, price ranges, applications, etc. is enormous and therefore, of course, the question arises which distance meter is optimal for you. Of course, there is no blanket answer here. However, it may be helpful to ask yourself a few questions before buying and to have a closer look at the offerings of the various models. Depending on your budget and scope, you may be able to make a quick decision.
Laser rangefinder/distance meter application
The term “laser” is somewhat redundant in this context since actually, all modern rangefinders work with a laser.
Simple (not in binoculars integrated) rangefinders have the huge advantage that they are particularly attractive for beginners due to their price.
Imagine they hunt in a not particularly heavily wooded mountain area. The short distance can be quite between 100 – 300m, often over a variety of buttocks away. Even if one often thinks subjectively to be able to reasonably estimate one’s distance, one is very quick to ignore it here in a subjective estimation. Of course, you will never measure the distance before each shot. A realistic approach here is to mark auxiliary points in advance with the help of the rangefinder. With these markings, a reasonably accurate assessment of the shooting distance is more likely.
Hunting binoculars with a rangefinder
A pair of binoculars with built-in rangefinder makes sense, in particular, if you think about buying a binocular anyway. Here you have to dig deep into your pocket, but experience has shown that investing in good hunting equipment definitely pays off in the long run.
You may also like this for night vision binoculars.
If you are not sure whether such a device pays off for your area of application, take a look at my advantages and disadvantages:
The disadvantage of these devices is in most cases the relatively high starting price. Furthermore, of course, pure laser rangefinder are often much smaller and more manageable. However, one can oppose the fact that every hunter anyway also takes binoculars with the hunt and thus has both in one.
In particular, the three dominant brands in the range: “Zeiss”, “Swarovski” and “Leica” are priced (of course, depending on the model) in many cases not far apart, which makes a decision not necessarily easy.
Which is also a reason against the integrated distance meter for binoculars, the additional electronics. Especially the “old hands” among the hunters prefer as little as possible to technical functions and rely on easy handling.
Nonetheless, binoculars also offer a number of advantages that, in our view, are those of the pure rangefinder. (Of course, it all depends on the scope and budget).
As mentioned above, it saves you the take of an additional device. You may already know this from other purchased hunting accessories that they often cannot take with you, but in the end, they might need it.
Especially at night or at dusk, the estimation of the distance is often particularly difficult and you are then dependent on a rangefinder. However, heir often fails the pure distance meter, due to the lack of optics.
Points do the various manufacturers with a variety of features such as image stabilization or a ballistic calculator. This works completely mechanically, silently and with the push of a button on many models. Such a function can be of great help, especially when dealing with the game.
TIPS FOR A BETTER HUNTING TRIP
Hunters can make the most of their laser rangefinders if they complement them with smart tactics. If a hunter is still waiting to spot an animal, he must clear the area where he is from any debris or clutter. In this way, if they have to make a small movement to reposition their rifle or rangefinder, they will not make a big noise that could scare off prey.
Once a hunter has found a place to wait for an animal, he should practice shooting in all directions from which an animal might approach. This helps them to see if there are branches or other unnoticed objects on the way to their shot so that they can clean them up in advance.
It is important to make as little noise as possible. The best way to move is to take long breaks. If a hunter moves too regularly, it is easy for an animal to have an idea of its position and the direction in which it is heading. If someone loses sight of a slaughtered animal they are hunting, he should take note of the exact location he was the last time he saw it. Going to this place is the only way to trace blood.
Because most hunting trails are closed to restrict access to vehicles, hunters often park their car at the beginning of a trail early in the morning and walk the rest of the way. An intelligent hunter can get ahead of everyone and benefit from the work of others. If you arrive in the middle of the night and walk to the end of a hunting trail, you can camp all night. The next morning, the other hunters will have started sending animals in the direction of the camper, who can be ready with his rifle at the end of the road.
m a professional hunter from 5 years. In this time period, I experience a lot
about this hunting rangefinder. I use a lot of rangefinders. All of them have
advantages and disadvantage. But here I am going to discuss with you about the
best hunting rangefinder in the market.
Many manufacturers have arisen through the years to deliver excellent satisfying rangefinders. however, there are so many marketers churning out new models of rangefinder through the years that it becomes a hard venture to choose one from the lot. And the equation receives more difficult whilst you are seeking out the high-quality looking rangefinders. A bad purchase can bring about you either sticking with a vain rangefinder for a long time frame or having to shell out more money on buying every other one. So, this makes it better to continually buy looking rangefinder after doing proper research.
1. Simmons 801600 Volt 600 Laser Rangefinder
If you are using Simmons this rangefinder, then things can never be going to be wrong. It has very much durability with amazing features. With the new volt 600, they kept their reputation still now. Its 4x magnification power provide a wide range of view to track your target. In one button operation, it works very easily. Its housing is sturdy and strong that help you no serious damages.
- Design: Its design is very much unique with a vertical layout that you can carry it anywhere. It is totally lightweight and compact ideal for hunting.
- Magnification: It comes with 4x magnification power. And you can very easily target your niche.
- Lens: It has also a 20mm objective lens that help you hunt easily.
- Dimensions and Weight: 7*5*3 inches and 9.3 ounces.
- Button: Button feature is very nice in this rangefinder that all button align itself with the index finger and you can easily handle all the operation with a single button.
- Display: It display quality is LCD. It has a high-quality optical technology display that provides a bright and clear view and you can make your measurement very smoothly.
- Measurement: It can measure accurate +/- in the range from 10 to 600 yards.
- Resistance: Fully water resistance facility that can protect your ranger from the rain.
- Perfect design with features
- Easy and simple usage
- Compact and lightweight with a 9-volt battery
- Not a great range.
2. Nikon 8397 ACULON AL11 Laser Rangefinder
Nikon aculon al11 rangefinder is one of the best hunting rangefinders for its new features and innovating models. It is either Nikon or Bushnell that comes with all fully new features of rangefinders. It is one of the trusted brands. This new Nikon comes with an improvement from than the older one. It fully equipped with targeted priority features. Aculon has nice features as most of the other entry-level rangefinders leave the feature out.
- Design: Its design is very much user-friendly. With this, you can priority your distance mode.
- Display: It has under low lighting feature because it does not come with backlight option but has a black LCD display. It has 1-meter yard easy to view display.
- Dimension and Weight: 3.6” * 1.5” * 2.9” and its weight is 3.6”
- Magnification: It has 6* magnification power that provides the ability to a nice field of view to search close targets and to track moving targets.
- View: For viewing issue, it has an adjustable +/- 4 diopters.
- Single Button: It has a single button operation facility.
- Resistance: it is not listed as a waterproof device in the market that can pose a lot of issues.
- Range: Its maximum ideal range is 550 yards. And if the object is not reflective the range decreases.
- Size: It is one of the smallest rangefinders that available in the market today.
- Battery: It has CR2 lithium battery with great lifespan. To reduce battery use it has 8 seconds power down a facility.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Long eye relief.
- With 6* magnification a good field of view
- Diopter is adjustable.
- It is not waterproof.
- No backlight.
3. Bushnell 202208 Bone Collector Edition 4x Laser Rangefinder, Realtree Xtra Camo, 20mm
In the rangefinders history, Bushnell is a brand that comes across a long way. After using you will realize that it is made for hunters. It is so lightweight and small in size that you can easily carry into your pocket during the hunting trip. It is little hard to swap and to take it off the device you need just a screwdriver. It can easily toggle between meters and yards.
Design: Its design is sturdy and compact. Only 10-ounce weight.
Material: It comes with camouflage style that provides perfect invisibility and does not have any flashy colors.
Display: Its LCD display is very comfortable to read with low light. After 30 seconds its display becomes idle that save power.
Dimensions and weight: 3*5*5.5 inches and 8 ounces.
Range: Under ideal condition, this gadget has ranged from 10 to 600 yards. That reserved for reflective surfaces.
Button: It has quite straightforward single button function that located your index finger which makes easier to control your viewing process.
Battery: It uses 9-volt battery.
Resistant: It has waterproof resistance facility.
- Its optics are of high quality.
- It has auto power saving mode.
- One button operation.
- Hard to swap the battery.
- Slope differences cannot calculate.
4. Vortex Optics Ranger Laser Rangefinders
As vortex rangefinder is relatively new in the rangefinder market but is have learned a lot of rules of the market. In the market existence of 13 years, it comes with a number of features and makes a great hunting rangefinder. You can find similarities between this Vortex and Leupold. Because both feels and weighs the same. It is coated with rubber. Any harsh conditions it is set to withstand. This is the best rangefinder for long range shooting.
- Function: Its functions are working with two buttons that make it on the top rangefinder in the market.
- Display: It has three brightness level with red LED display that provides you comfortable look for readings.
- Dimensions and weight: 4.7*4.2*2.8 inches.
- Lens: It has fully lens deliver that is the multi-coated optimal light transmission.
- Reflective Targets: It has not reflective targets over 550 yards and reflective targets 850 yards.
- Measurement: It has a longer range measuring process. And you must press measure button to switch rangefinder. While pressing the second time its aiming reticle activates. And to get the range you just press the button the third time.
- Magnification: It has 6* magnification power with the 22mm objective lens.
- Resistance: It has water resistance facility with O-ring sealed.
- LOS and HCD modes.
- Waterproof and compact.
- Three brightness level
- Three press operation.
5. Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 Yard Rangefinder
In United States sig Sauer is one of the best premier firearms hunting rangefinder in the market.
They make the top quality product for hunting goods. It can refresh ultra 4* per second. Its red illuminated reticle enables easy readiness. Its circle enables the aiming point for LRF.
- Design: Its design is lightweight and compact. It has also Electro-optics industrial design.
- Display: It has Lumatic OLED display. To match ambient light condition, it has automatic adjust the display. For eye protection, it has also dim in the twilight facility.
- Weight: It weight is 215 grams. Its Overall length 4.2” Width is 1.3” and Height is 3.0”
- Lens: It has an anti-reflection lens consist of highly efficient and ultra wide broadband. In extreme low level, its lens reduces surface reflection.
- Range: it has the kilo 2000 range mile that displayed nearest 1/10th yard. And you can easily range deer up to 1200 yards. Its maximum reflective range is 3400 yards. It is full features with Angle Modified Range compensation that give you accurate range and distance.
- Resistance: It comes with fog proof and waterproof facility that comes with lifetime warranty on mechanics and optics.
- Included: It is included with manual, case, lanyard, battery and this device.
- Lightweight and compact design.
- Size is pretty small.
6. Wildgame Innovations Halo XRT Range Finder
This Wildgame Innovations Halo XRT Range Finder is for both golfers and hunters. For its ergonomic is has become popular nowadays. Without any problems, it can easily range up to 500 yards. The grip loved by hunters. For the best laser rangefinder golf, Wildgame Innovations Halo XRT Range Finder could be a choice.
- Design: It is very much lightweight and compact design and the feel is ergonomic.
- Display: It has overlays reticle LCD display with distance measurement and low battery icon.
- Range: It can easily range up to 500 yards without any problems.
- Button: Its interface is user-friendly and you can operate it in a single button on top housing.
- Dimensions and weight: 2.5*5*4 inches and weighs 15.2 ounces.
- Finger: Its finger identification system makes it very much ideal for long-term usage.
- Magnification: Its magnification power is very high. It almost 6* magnification.
- Resistant: It has also the water-resistant facility with scan mode.
- Battery: It runs with CR2 battery.
- Power Saving: It has an automatic power saving facility that turns off after 20 seconds of inactivity and battery also saves.
- Lightweight and compact enough.
- Easy to operate in the field. And very accurate.
- Anti-fog coating eye lens.
- Comfortable non-slip rubber grip panels.
- CR2 batteries not sold everywhere
- Low light condition.
- Does not provide slope measurement.
7. Leica CRF 1000-R 40535 7×24 Laser Rangemaster
Leica CRF 1000-R 40535 7×24 Laser Range master is a trusted brand in the market. Over the years this brand manufacturing great models of hunting rangefinders. It has all the necessary features and its design is very fit for you one pocket. Leica CRF 1000-R 40535 7×24 Laser Rangemaster is the best rangefinder for bow hunting.
- Magnification: It has 7* magnification which provides more magnification power than others in the market.
- Functionality: Its functions are different.
- Lens: Its objective lens measure 24mm.
- Dimensions and Weight: 4.4 * 2.9 * 1.3 inches and 6.6 ounces.
- Range: It has also provided accurate measurement in the range of 10 to 1000 yards. And it also delivers super-fast sight distance to the target. Through taking into account the declination or inclination angle It can provide an equivalent horizontal range.
- Resistant: It comes with aquaDura coating with a waterproof facility that help you protect your ranger from rainy weather. It also avoids slippage.
- Battery: Its power source comes from the CR2 battery.
- It is a highly portable lightweight and compact device.
- Ideal for rifle and bow hunting.
- The CR2 battery is not available everywhere.
8. Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Digital Laser Rangefinder – Black/Gray
This Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Digital Laser Rangefinder – Black/Gray broken another barrier and come with its largest model of the rangefinder. It consists of all the latest new technology for hunting. For this reason, I can say that it is the best hunting rangefinder in the marketplace. It provides an accurate facility that enhanced accuracy. You can aim at last target priority between trees and bushes. For the shot much better way it has wind correction calculation. You can focus so fast in one click. It has also digitally enhanced accuracy.
- Design: It has enhanced accuracy feature from its predecessor it can change the processor. It made of the aluminum housing.
- Dimensions: 3.2* 4.5* 5.5 inches and weight is 1 pound.
- Magnification: It has 6* magnification power that makes it perfect for bow hunting or rifle rangefinder.
- Display: It has uncluttered images for scan and crystal clear red LED.
- Grip: From the possibility of slippage it has the rubber grip.
- Range: It has the range of 1200 yards at reflective surfaces under ideal conditions. 800 yards for deer 900 yards for trees.
- Resistant: For rainy condition, it has also a waterproof facility.
- Wind correction features.
- OLED display that much clear than LED.
- Complex functionalities.
9. Bushnell G-Force DX ARC 6 x 21mm Laser Rangefinder
This Bushnell G-Force DX ARC 6 x 21mm Laser Rangefinder is one of the best rangefinders with red display and fully loaded with features. It is used for both bow hunting and rifle hunting. With existing features, it is blended with new amazing technology. This ranger gives compensated angle reading that you can make an accurate shooting. It basically comes in three model regular, rifle and bow.
- Display: This Bushnell strays away from its traditional display and it comes with Vivid display technology. Its red display can be adjusting with four different brightness levels. you can change this level manually through a button click.
- Dimensions and weight: 3.4* 1* 2.9 inches and 8 ounces
- Measurement: If you set the unit yard its holdover measurement displayed in inches
- Technology: It is equipped with ESP (Extreme Speed and Precision) technology that brings in accuracy and speed while measuring range.
- Range: It can provide you accuracy at a range of 199 yards.
- Battery: It comes with a lithium metal battery.
- Screen brightness is adjustable
- Construction is sturdy
- The feature is target priority.
- Three modes hard to switch back and forth.
10. Bushnell 202208 Bone Collector Edition 4x Laser Rangefinder, Realtree Xtra Camo, 20mm
Bushnell 202208 Bone Collector Edition 4x Laser Rangefinder, Realtree Xtra Camo, 20mm is the simple and lightweight rangefinder in the market that is made for hunting. This rangefinder specially made for hunters and its features also user-friendly.
- Range: It ranges 600 yards and provides +1/-1-yard accuracy with 4*21mm lens.
- Dimension and Weight: 3* 5* 5.5 inches and 8 ounces.
- Bone Collector: Its bone collector also works in low light conditions. It can allow you to seek out your hunting time in your next expedition.
- Reticle: It is modified illuminated circle crosshair aiming reticle.
- Battery: It runs on 9v battery.
- Resistant: It has the rainproof resistant facility with the little bit more sturdy.
- Single button easy operation
- Battery power indicator.
- Ergonomic finger indents.
- Low light eye protection facility.
The 3 Criteria for Choosing a Hunting Rangefinder
This activity requires real precision and especially a rather important measure. A Nikon hunting laser rangefinder, a Bushnell hunting rangefinder or a laser hunting rangefinder can be adapted to your expectations, but you must especially take into account the range. This is undoubtedly the most important element in a comparative rangefinder and hunting laser rangefinder test. Other information can be pleasing for this rangefinder hunting purchase to live up to your expectations.
The range of a Zeiss rangefinder, a rangefinder hunting price or a laser rangefinder hunting advice is paramount. The higher it is, the more interesting the measurements are, especially for hunting or golf. So you adjust the trajectories, but target a model with a minimum of 600 meters. The upscale is easily approaching 900 meters.
A cheap hunting range finder usually offers the bare minimum, but with a hunting rangefinder comparator, you can get the most astute references with a few extra features. Indeed, the water tightness is always appreciable especially for the activities outside. There is, however, a real difference with a cheaper hunting rangefinder that is waterproof. You cannot use it in water, but it will not be damaged if it rains.
Through a rangefinder hunting, a rangefinder laser hunting commentary and a laser rangefinder range comparison, you can get several modes for the measurement. The best rangefinder displayed at the best price rangefinder hunting offers telemetry, a scan, a flag lock for golfers, a use even with fog and a speed measurement. The latter is especially essential for hunting. You must, therefore, buy rangefinder hunting that allows you to adapt your shot according to the movements of the animal. If this device is a bit more expensive, a rangefinder hunting promotion is easy to find on the internet.
hunting rangefinders are complex timepieces that designed to degree the length time an emitted beam of light takes to go back to the unit from a reflecting floor. because the velocity of light is constant, the time lapse exhibits the distance to the target.
My test determined each unit’s sensitivity and maximum range capability by lasing three types of targets: reflective (steel barn roofs from 1,200 to 2,400 yards), non-reflective (a bear hide at 100 yards), and a series of shrubs anywhere from 400 to 1,200 yards. I also measured each unit’s minimum-distance capability. Then I judged accuracy by lasing a series of targets at known distances in various light conditions.
measured the speed of scans by lasing moving vehicles on a highway at 1,200
yards, and I measured the clarity of the image and visibility of the display in
different light conditions. The other half of my test assessed more subjective
attributes: the features and amenities offered by each unit, its ergonomics,
versatility at a range of tasks, and how well the unit performed the job for
which it was intended. The unit with the highest score won our Editor’s Choice
award; the best value score was named our Great Buy.
To help you decide before you buy, here are a few questions that you might want to consider in advance, for example:
Question: Do I already own hunting binoculars?
Answer: If not, an integrated range meter would be a good idea.
Question: What is my budget or how much am I willing to spend?
Answer: Example: With a budget of less than $100 you can exclude some brands or models.
Question: Are additional functions and features important to me?
Question: What about the scope? Exclusively for hunting?
Answer: No, you can also use the distance meter quite differently. (Note: Many golfers also like to use such a device)
Question: What are my claims for the product?
Answer: It must be able to make an accurate measurement at least to xxx meters.
In my opinion I recommend you to purchase Leupold RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Digital Laser Rangefinder – Black/Gray because it has all the latest updated technology than other rangefinder have. So I think it is the best hunting rangefinder in the market for now.
There are numerous incredible rangefinders launched within the year 2018. And these are my top picks. These provide outstanding capabilities, have incredible creation and layout, and most significantly provide value for money. After buying your desire product do not forget to give your opinion and share your experience here. Happy purchasing.